Sunday, June 21, 2015

Lesson 196 – Parts of the Sentence – Objective Complement

An objective complement can be a noun or an adjective which follows the direct object renaming or modifying it. It is used with verbs like make, name, call, choose, elect, and appoint. It is not set off with commas as an appositive is. Example: I call my dog Badger.
A verb that has an objective complement in the active voice may in the passive voice have a predicate nominative or a predicate adjective. Examples: My dog is called Badger by me. I consider my dog smart. My dog is considered smart by me.
Instructions: Find the objective complements in the following sentences and tell whether they are nouns or adjectives.
1. Have you named Mr. Jones temporary chairman?
2. We called the boy on the horse Jock.
3. The team elected the twins co-captains.
4. The explorers found the old building empty.
5. Our present renters have kept the apartment clean.
–For answers scroll down.
Answers:
1. chairman – noun
2. Jock – noun
3. co-captains – noun
4. empty – adjective
5. clean – adjective

For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive at http://ift.tt/1BHeG8C. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook, a FlipBook, and a Workbook format.
from Daily Grammar Lessons Blog http://ift.tt/1QLs1ID


No comments:

Post a Comment