Some verbs of perception see, look at, hear, listen to, and feel, along with watch and sense can be used with objects followed by other verbs (base form or gerunds, but not infinitives).
We heard you leave. (Okay. Emphasis on our hearing.)
We heard you leaving. (Okay. Emphasis on your leaving.)
We heard you to leave. (Incorrect!)
I saw her go. (okay. Focus on my seeing.)
Look at that man run! (okay. Focus on their looking.)
Sylvester listened to the canary sing. (okay, focus on his listening.)
We watched them play basketball. (okay, focus on our watching.)
We watched them playing basketball. (okay, focus on their playing.)
Trudy can feel the wind blowing against her skin. (okay, focus on the wind’s blowing.)
Mr. Todd sensed the lion approaching. (okay, focus on the lion’s approaching.)
I. Watch the movie segment and complete sentences with one verb of the given verbs of perception and the objects followed by other verbs in parentheses. Use as many verbs as possible. Then decide where the action main focus is.
Lisa and Jeff
1. He _______________a woman in green _______________ the table for a special dinner. (see)
2. He ____________ Miss Lonelyhearts _______________________ her imaginary guest, but he couldn’t understand what she was actually saying. (welcome)
3. He __________Miss Lonelyhearts ____________some wine for herself and her imaginary lover. (pour)
4. They ___________ Ms, Torso, the ballet dancer, ______________with three gentlemen in her apartment building.(entertain)
5. A beautiful lady __________ her husband ___________ a call and left the bed to see what was happening. (make)
6. The woman’s husband _____________ (neg) her _______________ into the living room and was surprised by her presence there (come).
7. The couple ___________ a songwriter __________ beautiful music in the studio apartment. (play)
Key – possible answers:
1. Jeff saw a woman in green setting the table for a special dinner.
2. Jeff heard Miss Lonelyhearts welcome her imaginary guest.
3. Jeff watched Miss Lonelyhearts pour some wine for herself and her imaginary lover.
4. Jeff and Lisa saw Ms, Torso, the ballet dancer, entertaining with three gentlemen in her apartment building.
5. A beautiful lady heard her husband making a call and left the bed to see what was happening.
6. The woman’s husband didn’t sense her come into the living room and was surprised by her presence.
7. Jeff and Lisa heard a songwriter playing beautiful music in the studio apartment.