Sunday, February 14, 2016

Lesson 366 – Mechanics – Punctuation – Commas

Use a comma before the coordinate conjunctions that join independent clauses in a compound sentence. (Very short clauses joined by and may omit the comma.) Examples: Harry will leave on the next flight, but you will join him in a week. You wash and I will dry.
Instructions: Place commas where they are needed.
1. She walked and he ran.
2. I went to New York by train but I returned by plane.
3. I neither like you nor will I assist you in your request.
4. He will have to help or the project will not be completed.
5. The boss will be here tomorrow and we will ask for a raise.
–For answers scroll down.
Answers:
1. She walked and he ran. (no comma needed, but you would not be wrong to use one after walked)
2. I went to New York by train, but I returned by plane.
3. I neither like you, nor will I assist you in your request.
4. He will have to help, or the project will not be completed.
5. The boss will be here tomorrow, and we will ask for a raise.

For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive at http://ift.tt/1BHeG8C. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook, a FlipBook, and a Workbook format.
from Daily Grammar Lessons Blog http://ift.tt/1ofej3K


No comments:

Post a Comment