Sunday, March 6, 2016

Lesson 381 – Mechanics – Punctuation – Semicolons

Use a semicolon between two independent clauses of a compound sentence when they are not joined by a coordinate conjunction. Example: There was a sudden silence; everyone was stunned by the outcome.
Instructions: Place semicolons where they are needed in the following sentences.
1. Carl is tall his brother is short.
2. He knocked several times no one came to the door.
3. The siren blew loudly I rushed to the window the police raced pass as I looked out.
4. I waited several hours for you you did not return I became concerned.
5. My sister loves mysteries my brother likes technical manuals.
–For answers scroll down.
Answers:
1. Carl is tall; his brother is short.
2. He knocked several times; no one came to the door.
3. The siren blew loudly; I rushed to the window; the police raced past as I looked out.
4. I waited several hours for you; you did not return; I became concerned.
5. My sister loves mysteries; my brother likes technical manuals.

For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our lesson archive at http://ift.tt/1BHeG8C. Our lessons are also available to purchase in an eBook, a FlipBook, and a Workbook format.
from Daily Grammar Lessons Blog http://ift.tt/1LL5OIK


No comments:

Post a Comment